Electronic Health Records Management with Medical Terminology (CEHRS exam)
This Electronic Health Record (EHR) Management program prepares students to understand and use electronic records in a medical practice. Course reviews the implementation and management of electronic health information using common electronic data interchange systems and maintaining the medical, legal, accreditation and regulatory requirements of the electronic health record.
This course covers the following key areas and topics:
• Importance of the medical record as a legal document
• The effect of confidential communication laws on the release of medical information and HIPAA
• Provides a “real life” EHR experience using Medcin software to perform health information tasks
• Shills required to use and EHR to manage patient visit information including the examination, assessment notes and treatment plans.
• Importance of data accuracy, consistency, completeness, and security of information
• Basic code set principles and their applications with an emphasis on the ambulatory/outpatient setting and an introduction to inpatient medical records.
This program also includes a Medical Terminology course offering a clear and concise introduction to medical terminology with extensive opportunities for student practice. It reviews word components and basic principles for interpreting terms within each of the major medical specialties. The course does not require any previous knowledge of science or biology. The skills students obtain through this course will benefit them in their electronic health records management career.
Module 1 – Healthcare Information and Systems
• Lesson 1 – Healthcare Facilities and Professionals
• Lesson 2 – Accreditation, Regulation, and HIPAA
• Lesson 3 – Fundamentals of Information Systems and Healthcare Records
• Lesson 4 – Comparison of Paper and Electronic Records
• Lesson 5 – Additional Health Information Systems
Module 2 – Administrative Medical Assisting
• Lesson 6 – Healthcare Coding and Reimbursement
• Lesson 7 – Healthcare Transactions and Billing
• Lesson 8 – Statistics, Research, and Quality Management
• Lesson 9 – Electronic Health Records: An Overview
Module 3 – An Introduction to Medical Record Software
• Lesson 10 – Functional EHR Systems
• Lesson 11 – Learning Medical Record Software
Module 4 – Using Medical Record Software
• Lesson 12 – Data Entry at the Point of Care
• Lesson 13 – Understanding Electronic Orders
• Lesson 14 – Problem Lists, Results Management, and Trending
• Lesson 15 – Data Entry Using Flow Sheets and Anatomical Drawings
Module 5 – Using the EHR
• Lesson 16 – Using the EHR to Improve Patient Health
• Lesson 17 – Privacy and Security of Health Records
• Lesson 18 – Using the Internet to Expedite Patient Care
• Lesson 19 – EHR Coding and Reimbursement
Electronic Health Records Management professionals should have or be pursuing a high school diploma or GED.
This course is designed for students who are interested in sitting for the National Healthcareer Association (NHA) Certified Electronic Health Record Specialist (CEHRS) exam.
Students who complete this comprehensive course would be prepared to sit for the National Healthcareer Association (NHA) Certified Electronic Health Record Specialist (CEHRS) exam.
Patricia has a degree in Medical Assisting from The Career College of Northern Nevada, Dental Assisting from the Community College of the Air Force, and is currently working on her B.S. in Criminal Justice Studies from Grand Canyon University in Arizona. She has over 10 years of experience working in doctors’ offices and has been an Air Force Reservist since 2009. She has worked as an instructor for multiple schools over the last 4 years teaching medical and dental assistant curriculum, as well as OSHA safety requirements and career development.
Students will recieve these textbooks with their program:
• Electronic Health Records
Note: You must install the Medcin Student Edition of the software on a PC. The installation CD is packaged with this textbook. The software is not compatible with a Mac.
• Health Information Technology and Management
• Medical Terminology: A Short Course by Davi-Ellen Chabner BA MAT
- Certification included
- Image URL
- Training Plan URL