Professional Cooking & Catering
Website Short Description
The food-service industry continues to expand with a wide variety of new restaurants opening every day. Learn the cooking and baking principles you need to begin your career in this exciting industry with our Professional Cooking course. Learn the basics for planning dishes and menus, selecting quality ingredients, and preparing and presenting food in exceptional ways. This course explores professional techniques and methods for creating hundreds of recipes both traditional and contemporary. From cooking meat, poultry, and game, to preparing purely vegetarian dishes, to baking cakes, pies, and pastries, this Professional Cooking course will take you through the full spectrum of food preparation and presentation while inspiring you to create recipes of your very own.
Our comprehensive Professional Catering course will take you through all the steps involved in operating a successful catering business. From planning an event step-by-step, to developing a full menu, to managing your clients and employees, this course offers solutions and considerations for all types of related issues that may arise. Learn the skills and techniques you need to build and grow a successful catering business today!
After completing this course, you should be able to:
• Identify the common kitchen setup and equipment
• Identify the steps for creating soups, sauces, and stocks
• Identify the steps for cooking meat, poultry, and fish
• Identify methods for creating salads, dressings, dips, and hors d’oeuvres
• Identify methods for preparing breads, cakes, pies, and desserts
• Comprehend different types of catering and their components
• Identify methods for building a client base and engaging customers
• Identify the steps involved in the catering operation
• Identify methods for controlling risk and guiding employee behavior
• Identify conflict resolution strategies and basic human resource management principles
This class supported by an Educational Mentor. Educational mentors have worked or are working in the subject they mentor. Educational Mentors review student work, student progress, and interact with students as needed. They respond to any questions or concerns you might have, as well as encouraging and motivating you to succeed.
The following textbooks will be provided to each student upon registration:
• Professional Cooking by Wayne Gisslen
• Professional Catering by Stephen B. Shiring
Broadband or high-speed internet access is required. Broadband includes DSL, cable, and wireless connections.
1 GB RAM minimum recommended
Windows XP, Vista or 7
Mac OS X 10 or higher
MUST have Microsoft Window Operating Systems over Bootcamp (Bootcamp is a free download from Apple's website)
Google Chrome is the best browser for this course
Cookies MUST be enabled
Pop-ups MUST be allowed (Pop-up Blocker disabled)
Kindle Reader App is needed for many courses (No special equipment needed. This can be downloaded onto your computer.)
Adobe PDF Reader
Adobe Flash Player
Adobe Acrobat Reader, Apple Quicktime, Windows Media Player, &/or Real Player
PowerPoint Viewer (Use this if you don't have PowerPoint)
- Certification included